Set in tranquil grounds adjoining a riverside village, this rare example of an Elizabethan artillery fort was begun in 1559 and redeveloped in 1599-1601, to protect warships moored at Chatham dockyards. Despite a brave attempt, it entirely failed to do so in 1667, when the Dutch sailed past it to burn or capture the English fleet at anchor. There are approximately 20 spaces (shared with Upnor Village) located 200 metres from the entrance to the site. Visitors will need to cross a quiet village road to access the High Street, before walking down a cobbled street to reach the castle. Parking is free of charge. Coach and minibus parking is available in Lower Upnor. There is an additional car park located in Lower Upnor, should it be required by visitors. The onsite shop sells a selection of English Heritage gifts and themed souvenirs, as well as ice-creams, drinks and snacks. The shop is located in the ticket office. Visitors should be aware that access is via a small number of steps.